Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

It's all about the colors, textures, and scents!

It seems that summers go by faster and faster each year. I don’t think I even got to blink this summer! Summertime really isn’t my favorite time of year (unless we go on vacation somewhere). In the beginning I get all excited in thinking about the kids being out of school, days at the beach, barbecues, and all the fun things we get to do during the summer months. About halfway through I start wondering what it was that I was all excited about. The heat kicks in, my car is full of sand and other sticky things, and suddenly the kids are bored and I begin to love the thought of school!!

So, Bring On Fall!!!

Oh the brilliance of autumn, it’s almost here!!! This morning I woke up to cooler air and heavy fog, I love, love, love, fall! The cooler air reminds me that its that time of year again where the air gets crisp, pumpkin stands start showing up everywhere, some leaves start changing, the smells of comfort food are in the house, the scents of sweet vanilla, pumpkin and cinnamon baked goods, and Halloween, the much anticipated spooky sweet holiday that my kids look forward to, is right around the corner. Dutch & Alex have already begun planning their costumes!

Reds, oranges, greens, yellows, and purples, oh my!
My favorite thing about fall is all the beautiful color; such amazing colors show up in everything. From clothing, fabric and flowers to paints and foods! Decorating is hands down my absolute favorite thing to do in the fall. The textures at this time of year are so radiant and begging to be utilized during this season; I love the tweeds and the velvets with their rich colors and the knit blankets with their soft warmth. Vintage finds are abundant in the fall, especially at any of the flea markets around. There are a ton of magazines and books that may have a lot decorating ideas, but one of my favorite places to look for inspiration that I can imitate is in my supreme beloved Pottery Barn catalog. Who doesn’t love pottery barn?! When I have to batten down the financial hatches it becomes a fun challenge to see how well I can imitate the look for so much less.
Last but not least, a must for me during this season…ahhhhh, a pumpkin spice scented candle!
Happy "almost" fall everyone!

No comments: