Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Time, Calories & Melancholy

Well it’s that time of year again when the much-anticipated holidays are over. It’s a new year, now what?
For me, this New Year started off with some after Christmas glum.
I think because instead of happy thoughts of what the New Year will bring, all I could think of was…. “It’s over?!  It’s already time to take down all the decorations?” L.
Why is it that it’s much more inviting putting everything up? Everyone wants to join in when it’s decorating time, but when it comes time to pack it all away, nobody wants to help. I guess putting up the decorations is just a bit more fun because we get to reminisce about each ornament and it’s story. Each year I get a new ornament for each one of my kids so that when they are grown and on their own, they will each have their own set of ornaments to put on their first tree. I use to wrap each ornament when they were younger but now it’s not so exciting, I get the “is this another ornament?” which resulted in that present getting pushed aside for something more sought after like an electronic gadget. At first I was crushed that the search for the perfect ornament wasn’t as cherished for them as it was for me, but I have come to the realization that they are kids and kids just don’t get the sentiment behind it all. Someday, when they are older, they’ll get it.  Now I just purchase them and put them on the tree without them realizing so when the next year rolls around and we are putting up the ornaments again the kids are happy to see a new one that they had never seen before…. Genius idea!
So pretty much everything is put away, except the icicle lights hanging up high on the outside of the house…waiting for Dylan to come home for that! Hopefully my neighbors won’t mind that they are up until the last week in January.
So now that Christmas is all packed up it seems depressing around here. While taking down the tree Dutch begged that I leave it up: “It makes this room look so pretty, why would you want to take it down?” he said with such concern. I just explained that it will make it all that much more appreciated when we get it all out again next year.
I left 2010 feeling full; literally and figuratively. Full from the massive amounts of food & drink that I consumed but also happily full of time spent with great friends and family! I wish it could always be that way with the friends and family but the holidays always provide an excuse for me to eat what I want and calories don’t seem to count during this time of year. (who am I fooling?) When we get together with friends and family everyone always brings and makes such yummy scrumptious food that its hard to not want to sneak a taste! Well no more of that in 2011, the gatherings Yes, the food No, at least not until the holidays roll around again!

And so it goes…..I’m overwhelmed with melancholy, The holidays are over, the great company as well as good eats and drinks are done, no more splurging on gifts, and another year is behind us.
It's 2011!!…What does that mean?
All it means to me is that I am getting older, the kids are growing up (which makes me sad), things are getting more expensive and life is just going by way too swiftly for me. I want to make a considerate effort to find more time in my everyday life to photograph my kids. Most of my time is spent photographing everyone elses life, I need more time with mine. I also need more time with my husband, as with most people I am sure there’s never enough time in a day to have time with just each other. I plan on making that a priority this year!
My resolution for 2011…….No more Melancholy, fewer calories, and the gift of Time.
Happy New Year everyone.

No comments: